Revival’s Comments

“Adam’s story is truly inspirational and we are honoured to have been able to offer support for his rehabilitation at Revival. The team, including Sandie Holden – Neurological Physiotherapist, Claire Parker – MSK Physiotherapist and Clinical Director, have witnessed a remarkable progression in Adam’s rehab journey and it has been wonderful to see the significant improvement he has made. We would like to extend our gratitude to Adam for sharing his story and we hope it will inspire others to seek help and support in their own times of need.”

My Story

December 2022: Along with my wife & daughter I had what I believe was the flu and was in bed for a few days feeling rough with the symptoms, one of these being bad headaches verging on migraines. My wife and daughter soon got better but it took me a while longer and the headaches didn’t completely stop.

January 2023: saw me return to work as normal but still experiencing bad headaches on the right side of my head and constantly dosed up on ibuprofen & paracetamol to try and take the edge off. At times the headaches felt like I had been repeatedly hit in the side of my head, always in exactly the same spot.
I put the headaches down to work related stress, tiredness and the tail end of the Christmas flu! A trip to the GP and some blood tests didn’t reveal anything alarming, my symptoms all appeared to point at some form of Migraine and I was prescribed medication to try and relieve the headaches. I also decided to try massage and acupuncture with Claire at Revival to help relieve the stress and headaches and while all this worked briefly, the headaches continued and I began to experience some mild confusion, loss of balance and an inability to understand simple instructions. My thoughts were blurred and things didn’t seem to make sense, I was slowly starting to lose control of my brain and body. In hindsight, my friends have since told me about garbled text messages I sent that made no sense and noticed that I wasn’t my usual self but they also put it down to stress and a busy life!

February 2023: This had been noticed by my wife and Claire at Revival and so one evening,  they decided that enough was enough and we needed to seek further help so although I wasn’t entirely convinced, an ambulance was called to get me to hospital, I could no longer stand or walk. The paramedics came and checked me over and agreed that I needed urgent hospitalisation.

March 2023: Following stroke and mobility complications I was discharged in a wheelchair but had to live downstairs in my home as I could not walk. Subsequent Physiotherapy eventually saw me start to learn to walk again using a frame but this was going to be a long process!

April 2023: My wife and I start our new daily routine of the school run followed by a journey to the Arden Centre at UHCW for Radiotherapy sessions alongside oral Chemotherapy. Needless to say this treatment took its toll on me but a necessary evil which paid dividends in the long run. During one of these daily hospital visits I had an Ophthalmology appointment in the stroke clinic as my vision hadn’t been particularly good. We discovered that I had lost the left visual field in both eyes and this was unlikely to return to normal.

May 2023: The end of May was the last Radiotherapy session. I just about managed to complete 30 sessions and could now focus on the next 6 months of Chemotherapy and getting some rest.

December 2023: I had an MRI brain scan which revealed that the treatment has been successful in reducing the tumour which is now 16mm as opposed to the original 80mm! I wouldn’t require any further treatment at present but would have a scan and review every 3 months to keep a close eye on things.

As I write in 2024 I’ve had my first brain scan and CNS review of this year, the conclusion being that the tumour is stable, the next scan and review is already booked. The CNS team are always on the end of the phone if ever I feel that something isn’t quite right, which is fantastic support for myself and my wife.

With the support of my Neuro Physiotherapist, Sandie, and the rest of the team at Revival Health & Wellbeing Centre based locally to me, my mobility and left side function has greatly improved. They have played a vital part in my rehabilitation following the stroke and the tumour and continue to do so, monitoring my progress and helping rebuild my strength and functionality.

A huge contribution in returning to some sort of normality and my recovery / rehabilitation is the irreplaceable support of amazing family and friends, not only for myself but also for my wife and daughter who, although not physically but mentally, have been living this nightmare with me. Without the priceless support of our friends and family things would have been even tougher.

I do not remember the ambulance journey particularly, but my wife was by my side up until we reached the Emergency Department at Worcester Royal and had to explain several times to medics and doctors that I was unable to understand them or follow their instructions. I was then rushed straight in for a brain scan which I have no recollection of and in the early hours of the morning I was told that there was a “6cm mass” visible on the scan and I would need to be transferred to University Hospitals Coventry & Warwickshire. Around 4am my wife was called and the news broken to her, then later that morning we were back in another ambulance being blue lighted to UHCW where a bed on the Neuro Extra Care Unit was ready and waiting for me! At this point I’m still not really sure what’s going on and I’m convinced that we should just go home and rest! Luckily my wife and doctors had other ideas and I was taken for further CT and MRI scans.

After a nights rest on the NECU ward we were met by a Neurosurgeon and clinical nurse specialist who broke the news to us that the “mass” was an 8cm tumour presenting very aggressive but operable at this stage. Something needed to be done quickly before things got even worse. We discussed the options and associated risks and elected for a craniotomy & debulking with the Neurosurgeon confident that he could safely remove around 80% of the tumour.

My surgery went well although it took longer than anticipated, as the tumour didn’t want to play ball and I suffered a stroke which affected my left side, another scan on the way back to NECU from theatre to check things out and we were told that around 80% had been successfully removed, the remaining tumour to be dealt with using Chemotherapy & Radiotherapy as previously discussed with the specialists. Lab results confirmed the tumour to be a Glioblastoma grade 4.

Neurological Physiotherapy helps to rehabilitate these physical impairments through exercise and a hands on approach that facilitates movement. The brain is able to form new connections and pathways through a process called Neuroplasticity and Neuro physiotherapy helps to promote this through repetitive actions, retraining movements and exercise. There is always potential for improvement and further recovery with the right support and guidance so please get in touch to book your assessment with our Neurological Physiotherapist.